Kāmid el-Lōz: Publication of the Middle Bronze Age Temples
Support to Finalize the Figures and Plates of the Volume
Martin Metzger (Kiel)
The Bronze Age city of Kāmid el-Lōz, ancient Kumidi, was a regional centre in the Beqāʿ– Valley. During a first excavation project (1963 – 1981, directed by Arnulf Kuschke and Rolf Hachmann), substantial remains of long-lasting cultic activities (ca. 1750 – 1150 BCE) were uncovered within the central temple area of the urban settlement. Since 2007, a second excavation project (directed by Marlies Heinz) has been investigating the spatial organization of the city and thus has shed new light on the context of the central sacred precinct.
Martin Metzger supervised the excavations of the temple area (1963 – 1981) and was responsible for the publication of their results. With the publication of the Middle Bronze Age temples, Martin Metzger has nearly completed the series of volumes dealing with the excavation results from the temple area. Thanks to the comprehensive volumes and to the detailed manner of publication it is possible to obtain a multi-faceted picture of the sacred architecture and of the cultic activities in the temple area during its many utilization phases (Middle and Late Bronze Age). The financial support of the Deutscher Palästina-Verein served to finalize the very large number of illustrations of the Middle Bronze Age volume (plans as well as pottery and object drawings).
Further InformationM. Metzger, Kāmid el-Lōz 17. Die mittelbronzezeitlichen Tempelanlagen T4 und T5, Bonn 2012 (Saarbrücker Beiträge zur Altertumskunde 71).
H. Weippert, Die mittelbronzezeitlichen Tempelanlagen von Kāmid el-Lōz. Ein Besprechungsartikel, in: ZDPV 128, 2012, pp. 73 – 80.
Further projects funded by the Society
This post is also available in: German